Friday, April 16, 2010

Good Week

I found myself unaccountably and unusually happy yesterday. Starbucks gave away free brewed coffee to every customer who brought in a travel mug, and I took advantage of that promotion before I left for work, which meant that I was sipping on an inordinate amount of coffee all day long. I've found that, oddly, caffeine tends to make me feel sanguine, so perhaps that's what spurred my happiness. Additionally, over the past two days, prospective students [high school seniors] have been visiting Rice for the annual "Owl Days" event. I love witnessing their eagerness and awe as they experience college--for many, it's the college they've already decided to attend--firsthand for the first time. I miss that feeling. Prospective students, or prospies, as we call them, always make me smile. It has also helped that in just the past eight days, I've:

  1. Gotten my new cute netbook
  2. Decided to go to Imogen Heap's concert--and purchased tickets for said concert!
  3. Decided to go see John Mayer AND Owl City (it's like my dream come true!) in concert
  4. Had dinner with an amazing group of friends who always have me laughing like a maniac and feeling loved
  5. Booked a trip to New York City to visit a friend right after graduation
  6. Had a ridiculously good end-of-college night on campus
Ostensibly, it's been a relatively good week. Then again, it's also been an unpleasant week in many ways. A friend of mine from high school passed away on Easter, and I went to his funeral and wake this past weekend. I've been to too many funerals for people my age, but this was the first one for a person I could truly call my friend. I have a lot of memories with this guy [granted, they're mostly from middle school, and thus at least 8 years old], and he was truly a nice person. I'm still sad about his death, but more than anything it's made me painfully aware of how precious my own life is.
It's amazing how forcefully perspective can be pushed upon you--and also how easily it can slip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment