Thursday, January 19, 2012

The n00b Files- Week 2 of General Surgery

More words of wisdom from a certified n00b:

Lesson 1:
The nicest people during the day become terse and impassive when you're on overnight call with them. It's hard not to take that personally, especially when you're fresh out of pre-clinicals and normally only saw authority figures in the bright light of day (or in the dim light of the lecture hall, as the case may be). However, one should try to keep in mind the simple fact that people are cranky when they're sleep-deprived and/or hungry. Even doctor-people.

Lesson 2:
Planning ahead helps make your life a lot easier/happier when you're on clinicals. For instance, when you're going to take overnight call and know you'll have to sit through boring meetings/lectures the following morning instead of going home before rounds like you wish you could, make some coffee at home and bring it to the hospital with you. That way you don't have to spend an arm and a leg getting coffee to keep your sad little eyelids open. Also, throw an extra granola bar into your lunchbag so you can use it for breakfast the following morning.

Lesson 3:
I can now recognize the smell of dried blood. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Lesson 4:
Chest tubes, while very important clinically (they're designed to suck out air, fluid, blood, etc out of the cavity around the lung, so that a collapsed lung can reinflate and get back to normal), are really freaking gruesome to put in. They're also pretty unpleasant to remove, but not quite as bad as the insertion process. Shudder.

Lesson 5:
I'm pretty scared of trauma cases, and tend to tense/freeze up when I'm in the shock rooms when a trauma comes in. However, I'm glad to report that I haven't felt nauseous or faint in trauma situations so far, and that's an improvement over some of my previous experiences. Hopefully writing about said improvement won't jinx me.

Lesson 6:
When asked if you're interested in a field in which you have absolutely no interest, a very diplomatic answer would be, "I think it's a great learning experience, but I don't think it's the field for me." Not that I've had the presence of mind to utilize that phrasing so far. Still, it's a good thing to keep tucked away in my brain.

Lesson 7:
Take care of any chronic and/or annoying health issues you may have ASAP. I've had this annoying cough for the last three weeks and it's really cramping my style. I'm pretty sure it's an asthma flare-up, but who knows. Anywho, I have an appointment to get it worked out tomorrow, and I'm very excited about that. Ailments begone!

Lesson 8:
Use an alcohol wipe to clean your trauma shears or stethoscope between patients, especially for the trauma shears. You never know when the dressing you're undoing covers a wound infected with MRSA, and it's best not to spread that from one patient to the next...for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment