Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The n00b Files - Week 4 of General Surgery

More things I'm learning:

Lesson 1:
An NG tube is used to suction/drain fluid that is building up in the stomach. I used to be under the misguided notion that NG tubes were used to feed people. Wrong.

Lesson 2:
When examining a patient with a diabetic foot, make sure to feel for their distal pulses if you don't want to feel totally silly when your upper-level comes in to check up on the patient.

Lesson 3:
It feels pretty darn cool when your team's patients run into you outside of their rooms and address you as "doc." It also feels a little scary; I'm always quick to correct them by saying, "Well, I'm almost a doctor.."

Lesson 4:
Working with a good group of teammates makes all the difference. The other medical students on my team are nice and funny and very accommodating when I need them to cover for me. I'm glad I started out my time in clinics with them. My sister told me that one of her favorite things about clinicals was getting to know many of her classmates much better than before. I'm really grateful for this, too, and I'm off to a good start!

Lesson 5:
Taking time to engage in your interests really improves your quality of life. I've started writing these n00b lessons, and I've also redoubled my efforts to publish my latest essay. Both of these pursuits give me great joy.

Lesson 6:
Finding beauty everywhere makes you pretty happy. I think bowel is beautiful. Weird? Yes. Good for my mental health? Arguably, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment