Saturday, January 28, 2012

Things that are bound to make me cry

Taking a leaf out of my new hero Mindy Kaling's book (quite literally), I've decided to list things that inevitably make me cry:
  • Watching the movie Up for any 3-6 minute interval. The chubby little boy scout will talk about his absent father, or the adorable, sad old man will remember his deceased wife, or the extremely eager-to-please Dug will show just how much he just wants to be loved, and game over. Doesn't take long for the tears to spill.
  • Listening to "Stop This Train" by John Mayer. It's a song about parents getting older and kids becoming adults and life's inexorable march. How can I not cry?
  • Thinking about my sister's wedding too much. It makes me too happy/sad. On the real.
  • Hearing 3-5 songs by Ingrid Michaelson within a short period of time. Eventually, one of the lines will tug at one of my many, pliable heartstrings, and I'll compare myself to the protagonist in the song ("I don't believe in anything but myself" and so on) and I'm crying while I'm driving. It's always very cathartic.
  • Reading good writing.
  • Any and every episode of Grey's Anatomy. I'm not even joking.
  • Seeing my mom cry (just like Mindy Kaling, except I don't have an amusing anecdote about watching The Help with my mother to illustrate this. In fact, I have just the opposite. Within the first 10 minutes of our watching Up together, I was crying and my mom was looking at me funny wondering why I was such an emotional wreck. She's tough, which is why seeing her cry sets me off uncontrollably.)
  • Homeless people. It's so very sad.
  • Any time my parents or sister express emotion towards me. We're one of those freakish not-very-expressive families, so any time anything is expressed, my emotions go haywire.
  • Belting out Sara Bareilles's Gravity. "Here I am, and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be" gets me every time.
  • Foundations by Kate Nash, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer, and other similarly spot-on breakup songs. Guh.
How is it that Mindy Kaling's list of things that make her cry is so much funnier than mine? I suspect it's all in the execution...maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment